Temporary Youth Services Coordinator
Posted: February 2020
The Temporary Youth Services Librarian ensures effective library services for all youth and more specifically to children from birth to 4th grade. This four month position will start in May and end in August. During that time, you will be expected to plan, coordinate, and perform Youth Services programming and outreach activities, manage collections, and monitor
performance to ensure that activities meet department and BRLD standards and objectives. You will work closely with the Teen Services Librarian to coordinate services and/or assist with activities. The position also assists with library day-to-day operations by working at the circulation desk and/or checking-in items.
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
Any of the following duties may be performed:
1. Plan, coordinate, and lead activities for children. More specifically, implement the preplanned Summer Reading Program which includes afternoon programs, storytimes and other family programs.
2. Monitor the selection of materials for the Children’s collection. Oversee the maintenance of collections through periodic review and discard of worn or non-circulating materials.
3. Promote collections and activities to children through a variety of media such as displays, readers’ advisory materials, blog and social media posts, and flyers.
4. Work closely with the Teen Librarian to plan and coordinate activities and services. Assist with teen programs as needed.
5. Help with the day-to-day operations of the library by working at the circulation desk, checking in items, and/or other tasks as assigned.
6. Assist patrons in the use of library collections through reference interviews, reference and literature searches, and instruction in the use of computer software. Maintain current knowledge of library materials, resources, and services.
7. Oversee the children’s area to ensure a welcoming environment and that the space supports a variety of uses.
8. Perform administrative record keeping and reporting as assigned.
Professional: 2 years
Experience working with Children
Send resume with cover letter and three professional references to:
Sue Kiley, Director